A number of different service options have been defined for use on the CDMA physical channel.
A description of each of the service options follows:
- Service Option 001 – This is the normal, duplex voice conversation mode that uses the original 8 kbps vocoder defined in the TIA IS-96-A specification.
- Service Option 002 – This is the test mode used to measure receiver performance for voice channels operating at 9600 bps (also known as Rate Set 1 Data Loopback).
- Service Option 003 – This duplex voice conversation mode uses the new, improved voice quality 8 kbps vocoder known as the Enhanced Variable Rate Coder (EVRC)
- Service Option 004 – The options supports circuit switched data transmission. Typical throughput with error correction overhead (re-transmitting lost frames) is about 7 kbps.
- Service Option 005 – This service option allows normal group 3 fax transmissions.
- Service Option 006 – This service option provides short message service that allows alphanumeric messages to be sent and displayed on a CDMA mobile at 9600 bps.
- Service Option 007 – This service option allows the transmission of data using packet transmission rather than a circuit switched approach.
- Service Option 008 – This is similar to service option 007, except that the CDPD packet protocol is used as an overall control layer over the SO7 PPP packet protocol.
- Service Option 009 – This is the test mode used to measure receiver performance for voice channels operating at 14400 bps (also known as Rate Set 2 Data Loopback).
- Service Option 014 -This service option provides short message service that allows alphanumeric messages to be sent and displayed on a CDMA mobile at 14400 bps.
- Service Opt 32,769 – This is a proprietary service option owned by the CDG that governs the duplex voice conversation mode that uses the CDG 14.4 kbps vocoder.
In Short Service Options Are:
- 1- Voice Using 9600 bps IS-96-A Vocoder
- 2- Rate Set 1 Loopback (9600 bps)
- 3- Voice Using 9600 bps (EVRC)
- 4- Asynchronous Data Service (circuit switched)
- 5- Group 3 Fax
- 6- Short Message Service (9600 bps)
- 7- Internet Standard PPP Packet Data
- 8- CDPD Over PPP Packet Data
- 9- Rate Set 2 Loopback (14400 bps)
- 14-Short Message Service (14400 bps)
- 32,768- Voice Using 14400 bps (CDG)